Part Time; Benefits Eligible
The purpose of the Formula Lab Techs position is to have technically trained personnel who can recognize weights and measures and have a working knowledge of medical terminology. Responsible for the preparation, distribution, inventory, record keeping, and ordering of all patient formula in the department. The person in this position is solely responsible for the calculation of all patient formula as they appear in the complex preparation instructions completed by clinical staff. The Formula Lab Technician must be able to recognize all the age-related factors that may contribute to formula choices resulting in non-compliance with formula room related interpretation of complex formula instructions, printed formula orders and technical interpretation of the medical contents of orders. The Formula Lab Technician should recognize the criteria for identification and classification of all formula, relative to enteral. Recognizes and interprets instructions for discharges, charges, consult, support and change-formula instructions; able to interpret daily intake analysis so as not to miss-represent volume/size or cubical content, etc. Demonstrate competencies relative to infection control principles, appropriate technical calculation (weights and measures conversions, including metrics). Demonstrate knowledge of common medical abbreviations and terminologies.
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Interpret information presented for formula preparation and prepare those formulas using the correct techniques, avoiding any conceivable errors relating to the nutrition care of patients. Carefully reading all labels correctly relative to formula preparation. Names of formula and their ingredients must be given careful assessment and interpretation.
2. Collect all pertinent formula orders from all relative areas in the department including diet office and Formula Room; screening these orders for discharges, admissions, stat orders, discontinuations of orders and changed orders. Document all relative changes, double-checking for accuracy in all cases.
3. Maintain up-to-date records of formula inventory and availability; mindful of the FIFO principles in storage of food items: cans, bottles and boxes. Collaborate with appropriate Nutrition Services and clinical staff to maintain an error-free discipline; doubling the effort to avoid any possibility of misinterpretations. Consulting dietitians and double-checking with nursing when appropriate.
4. Accurately label all formula and tube feedings using the printed labels associated with formula order sheets, which including patient name, patient unit, patient bed #, date, type of formula and expiration date.
5. Delivers and distribute all formula to respective patient unit on a timely basis and in proposed usage order.
6. Once per week, prepares autoclave (blind test) Attest plus a formula sample and send to the lab for analysis. Assess results and log in Lab Results Book as a reference which is checked quarterly by Epidemiology.
7. Participates in departmental appropriate upgrades and changes pertaining to quality improvement.
8. Participates in department in-services to maintain appropriate competence.
9. Maintains a working knowledge of technical terminologies and classifications as appropriate for the proper completion of job duties.
10. Maintain and store all records of formula room activities for a period of 2 months.
11. Adhere to all principles as per Nutrition Services policy and procedures pertaining to the Formula Room. Maintain an aseptic environment for formula preparation procedures as they relate to the HACCP plan for enteral feedings, local health department regulations, and patient safety policies.
12. Record and charge all formula per departmental guidelines through EPIC.
13. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school graduate with at least a year of practical education or training.
2. Must complete the Formula Lab Tech Training Program, as presented by Columbus State Community during the next scheduled class.
3. Ability to read, understands and calculates weights and measures accurately, and exhibits basic mathematical skills.
4. Ability to understand and interpret basic medical terminologies.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Walking/standing Constantly (67 - 100%)
Ability to push heavy tray carts to patients units. Frequently (34-66%)