Genetic Technologist I
Full time: Main Campus; Mon-Fri 8 AM – 5 PM
We are seeking a Genetic Technologist I- the primary responsibility is for performance of routine and complex laboratory analyses, quality control, operational improvement, and preventative maintenance within the Institute for Genomic Medicine.
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital?
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
What Will You Be Doing?
Demonstrates the technical and computer skills required for molecular/cytogenetic analysis
• Accessions samples accurately in research databases, LIS, LIMS, CoPath and/or other related software as indicated
• Performs routine and complex technical laboratory procedures
• Records functions in the laboratory information systems in an adequate and timely manner
• Accurately prepares reagents used in laboratory procedures
Demonstrates proficiency and expertise in at least three of the following:
• Amniotic Fluid Chromosome prep
• Tissue Chromosome prep
• Blood Chromosome prep
• Microscopy and Karyotyping and use of Cytovision or other imaging systems
• FISH - at least 3 wet lab procedures
• FISH - analysis of at least 2 probe types
• Microarray technology- all process types
• Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
• Quantitative and droplet PCR
• Sanger Sequencing
• NextGen Sequencing
• DNA and/or RNA extractions
• Nucleic acid quantitation and QC, including gel electrophoresis, spectrophotometry and operation of Agilent bioanalyzer/tapestation
• Processing/Banking of specimens
• Review, analysis and interpretation of genetic variant data
• Demonstrates proficiency in operation, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation
• Reviews completed cases and summarizes the results for clinical reports and/or research studies
• Demonstrates an ability to accurately record procedures in laboratory notebooks
• Performs secondary technical review of cases prior to sign-out
• Prepares written results of research and development activities and oral reports when appropriate; utilizes chart, graphs, tables as needed
• Performs other related duties as assigned
Demonstrates knowledge of and upholds applicable laws and regulation related to the position and maintains a safe environment
• Wears appropriate personal protective equipment as designated by lab area
• Reports spills and hazardous situations immediately and acts appropriately
• Follows established guidelines for access, use and disclosure of patient information
• Performs preventive maintenance and quality control with appropriate documentation and communication
• Documents corrective action/incidents as needed
• Performs and documents daily, weekly and monthly operational tasks as assigned
• Participates in Quality Assurance and continuing education programs
• Participates in laboratory proficiency testing as assigned
Participates in appropriate training and coaching for the IGM laboratories
• Reviews and acknowledges procedures within established timeframes
• Completes all assigned training and competency assessments on or prior to deadlines
• Assists with elements of training in training technologist, new employees, students and fellows, as assigned
• Assists with procedure and technical development and acts as a resource
• Demonstrates the ability to communicate respectfully with coworkers, staff, patients, parents and clients
• Provides the best customer service in an efficient and effective manner to assure customer satisfaction and quality patient care
• Participates in training and education opportunities appropriate to obtain and/or maintain ASCP certifications
• Completes at least twelve hours of approved continuing education, yearly
Demonstrates the ability to make determinations regarding course of action and alternatives by addressing problems, using resolutions and basic troubleshooting skills as applicable to assigned work
• Uses information from quality control checks to predict and avoid problems
• Demonstrates the ability to adjust to change, handle interruptions and function with changing circumstances
• Maintains knowledge of status of cases/prioritizes analysis of specimens that are assigned to them
• Demonstrates ability to perform some troubleshooting/problem solving and communicates with supervisor when laboratory procedures or equipment fail
• Able to resolve technical, computer, and customer service problems
• Confers on a regular basis with Clinical Director(s), Manager(s), or Supervisor(s) to review status of research/clinical cases and recommends alternative strategies when appropriate
• Displays a positive attitude, limits criticism to constructive
Provides courteous and informative internal and external customer service
• Treats each patient/family or research project as a top priority
• Takes responsibility to resolve customer’s concerns
• Assures that the customer’s expectation drives behaviors
• Continuously improves the quality of the services offered
• Ensures turnaround times are meet with quality results
• Aspires to the NCH Vision o Best Outcomes in everything we do, together delivering the best health care for children. o Enhancing the health of children by engaging in high-quality, cutting-edge research according to the highest scientific and ethical standards.
• Commits to the NCH core values
o Do the right thing
o Create a safe day every day
o Promote health and well-being
o Are agile and innovative
o Get results
What Are We Looking For?
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess these minimum qualifications and experience:
Your Benefits, Your Wellness:
As an employer, Nationwide Children’s recognizes the importance of the benefits we offer. We also recognize the importance of balancing your work and personal needs. Our benefits and Employee Wellness package is designed to:
Most of our positions are benefits’ eligible from day 1.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.