Full Time/Benefits Eligible
The overall purpose of the Informatics Programmer II position is to deliver robust and user-friendly technical applications and data management tools that support business processes for the
Biopathology Center within the Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. It is expected that the individual in this position will develop strong analytical and technical knowledge in informatics, and develop a strong comprehension for clinical research perspectives in information technology. The effectiveness of these applications will be measured by lowered cost of doing business for the Biopathology Center and their sponsors. Effective informatics support will aid in increased cure rates, and reduced therapy side effects.
Why Nationwide Children's:
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Understand department procedures including: development standards, operating procedures, source control, documentation, requirements gathering, our department workflow from planning to delivery, as well as an understanding of biobanking as part of initial training
2. Participate in enhancing, supporting, and maintaining a variety of custom applications, workflows, and reports
3. Duties are performed as part of a team
4. Assignments need to be completed on time and according to requirements
5. Ability to effectively seek feedback is a must
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
2. Five to seven years solid programming experience
3. Superlative communication, presentation, and analytic skills
4. Learn; Share knowledge; Enable the team’s capabilities to grow
5. Understanding of team software development lifecycle and best practices
6. Understanding and ability to participate in the code review process
7. Exposure to a variety of programming languages and paradigms
8. Solid experience with application programming models including server-side (e.g., ASP.Net, Spring MVC, Node.js) and client-side frameworks.
9. Well versed in issue management (e.g., GitHub, Jira).
10. Exposure to source version control tools (e.g., Git, SVN, TFS)
11. Knowledge of Docker
12. Background with XML, JSON, AJAX, HTML/CSS, and related web and interoperability standards
13. Data Modeling, Report Writing and Data Analysis skills
14. Demonstrated expertise with relational database technology, including logical/physical schema design, effective querying patterns/techniques, and stored procedure development
15. Ability to analyze business needs and prepare appropriate resolutions
16. Knowledge of lean best practice for application development
17. Proven ability to complete mid to large sized programming projects successfully
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Typing on a keyboard - Frequently (34-66%)
2. Talking on phone/in person - Occasionally (0-33%)
3. Able to lift up to 50 lbs. - Occasionally (0-33%)
4. Standing/walking - Occasionally (0-33%)
5. Pressure in this position will vary depending on the workload. The workload will be heavy but manageable most of the time. Pressure may arise in the face of deadlines associated with grants.