Full Time/Benefits Eligible
The ETL Developer will design, develop, code, test, debug, maintain, support and document database ETL flows in support of the Biopathology Center within the Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. The ETL Developer is expected to be detailed-oriented and able to create stable and robust data flows between and within our systems. As he/she will be called upon to document critical flows, the developer must possess excellent written communication skills and the ability to collaborate with an extended team. The design and implementation of proper ETL flows which are easy to troubleshoot and maintain is of particular importance. Demonstrated experience with ETL tooling and best practices—as well as strong data querying/profiling skills—are essential to success in this job. The ETL Developer must possess excellent verbal communication skills and ability to interact with data stakeholders at all levels within the organization.
Why Nationwide Children's:
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Work with the team architect(s) to help define and document the overall approach for ETL
2. Ensure that developed ETL flows are robust in the face of changing technologies and business needs
3. Strive to balance the needs for operational stability and business agility/flexibility
4. Engage in the proper amount of documentation to allow for cross-coverage by other team members
5. Develop and maintain strong proficiency in database tooling, SQL, ETL tools, and related/supporting technologies (e.g., scheduling, dependency management, version control, reporting, issue tracking)
6. Consult with the team architect(s) on design issues and incorporate feedback from periodic ETL design/code reviews; Demonstrate meticulousness and a desire to learn and improve approaches
7. Ensure developed ETL flows provide operational transparency via logging, performance metrics, notifications, data quality statistics, and documentation in the team wiki.
8. Assist with a variety of analytic and data-related team activities, including query/report design, performance tuning, job scheduling/monitoring, analytic model design, database refactoring, data profiling, data quality remediation, data dictionary/documentation, etc.
9. Identify, quantify, and track relevant data quality issues that impact the team
10. Help maintain technical documentation related to the ETL stack, environments, and technical architecture
11. Maintain appropriate mindfulness related to ETL flow/component reuse and consolidation (refactoring)
12. Provide input to schedules via time estimates and high-level design/approach planning with architect(s)
13. Learn; Share knowledge; Enable the team’s capabilities to grow; Have fun
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
3+ years of experience in ETL-related activities
Strong working knowledge of SQL and data design best practices
Strong ability to learn from colleagues, books, documentation, and hands-on exercises
Possess an analytic, detail-oriented mentality in regard to key duties
Possess creativity in technical problem identification/investigation/resolution
Experience with SQL Server ideal
Experience with an ETL toolset (e.g., Pentaho Spool/Kettle, SSIS, Data Integrator, etc.) ideal
Experience with dimensional data modeling and ETL design ideal
Exposure to source version control tools (e.g., Git, SVN, TFS) ideal
Ability to balance multiple short term deliverables while building long term solutions
Ability to work flexible schedules to meet job requirements; requires occasional after-hours support
Understanding of the software development life cycle
Understanding of data warehousing design
Effectively seek feedback
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Typing on a keyboard - Frequently (34-66%)
2. Talking on phone/in person Occasionally (0-33%)
3. Able to lift up to 50 lbs. - Occasionally (0-33%)
4. Standing/walking - Occasionally (0-33%)
5. Pressure in this position will vary depending on the workload.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.