3-1130pm with rotating weekends, holidays, and oncall.
The Lab Support Associate is responsible for providing clerical and patient care support, especially in regards to specimen collection and specimen processing, as assigned. Duties include, but are not limited to: obtaining patient information, registration, specimen collection and processing. The Lab Support Associate will be a supportive link between Nationwide Children’s Hospital laboratory customers and other areas within the Laboratory. Should project a professional image through telephone communication to both internal and external Nationwide Children’s Hospital customers. Must be able to work independently and provide solo coverage at off site locations.
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Maintains the technical skills required in the laboratory. Including phlebotomy, specimen collection, specimen processing, and specimen delivery and storage. May perform Waived Testing.
2. Maintains the computer skills required in the laboratory. Performs clerical tasks and order entry while maintaining knowledge of processing protocols and understands how to obtain basic information related to testing criteria. Maintain equipment and performs maintenance.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of and upholds applicable laws and regulations related to position. Meets the standards of patient care and performs within the policies and procedures of Nationwide Children’s Hospital and the Department of Laboratory Medicine.
4. Maintains a safe environment. Wears appropriate personal protective gear and uses NCH Zero Hero tools.
5. Performs and documents daily, weekly and monthly tasks on assigned work area task lists.
6. Communicate with staff, patients, parents and clients in a respectful and courteous manner. Displays a positive attitude and ability to handle conflict with irritated parents, patients, or other staff/clients.
7. Provides customer service in an efficient and effective manner to assure customer satisfaction and quality patient care. Including the ability to change manner of communication styles to adapt to various cultural differences.
8. Addresses client concerns by researching problems and identifying resolutions, using basic troubleshooting skills.
9. Provides feedback that is useful and assists in individual improvement. Actively engages in and supports efforts to develop an atmosphere of mutual respect and inclusiveness.
10. Adjust to change, handles interruptions and functions with changing environments/circumstances.
11. Participates in continuing education programs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. One to two years clinical laboratory/ medical experience and office experience. Two years of pediatric phlebotomy experience preferred.
3. Organizational skills, attention to detail, and computer experience.
4. Maintains and foster interpersonal relationships with internal and external customers.
5. Presents information through oral and written communication effectively.
6. Works efficiently and independently promoting a team environment and maintaining a cooperative and supportive atmosphere. MINIMUM
Ability to stand for more than 1 hour at a time, sit for more than 1 hour at a time.
Good visual and auditory acuity. Full use of hands and arms.
Ability to speak clearly. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds occasionally. The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.