Full-time position, day shift. Exempt. Location: Outpatient Pharmacy (Orange/Blue/Yellow).
This posting will close after Friday 10/19/18.
The Pharmacy Technician Supervisor is a working supervisor who manages the Outpatient Pharmacy Technician staff and works with the Ambulatory pharmacy leadership team to ensure that all patients’ needs for distributive pharmaceutical services are met. This includes collaborating with pharmacy leadership team on: interviewing, hiring decisions, training, evaluations, maintenance of competency, scheduling, and filling call offs. The tech supervisor will staff as a pharmacy technician in the outpatient pharmacies. The technician supervisor is responsible for monitoring and evaluating the quality of services provided by Pharmacy Technicians, assuring compliance with practice standards, and chairing department committees to meet the Department’s goals.
· Assure the efficient and timely completion of tasks within the shift.
· Adjusts workflow and staff as necessary to cover ill calls; calls in additional personnel when deemed necessary.
· Responsible for pharmacy technician work schedules; approves paid time off and schedule switch requests.
· Completes bi-weekly time and attendance records for the payroll department.
· Supports the Ambulatory Pharmacy Director in conducting and/or securing peer feedback for staff performance evaluations.
· Supports the Ambulatory Pharmacy Director in coordinating recruitment, interviews and selection of new ambulatory pharmacy staff.
· Coordinates the orientation and training of new pharmacy technicians, outpatient pharmacy billing specialist, and pharmacy interns.
· Assures environmental cleanliness for pharmacy areas.
· Identifies and resolves pharmacy service problems.
· Manages the use of overtime.
· Develops and enforces policies and procedure for the area of responsibility.
· Develops and participates in projects designed to minimize cost and maximize efficiency.
· Participates in long-rang planning along with the other members of the management staff.
· Devises annual goals and objectives for the areas of responsibility.
Assists with quality monitoring of pharmacy areas and assures compliance with practice and regulatory standards
· Facilitates problem solving and conflict resolution related to the learning of roles, skills, procedures and new equipment.
· Maintains an active role and attendance in state professional organization(s)
· Participates in supervisor on call rotation for the outpatient pharmacies
· Performs other related duties as assigned by the Ambulatory Pharmacy Director and members of the leadership team.
· Must exhibit excellent customer service skills
· Accepts prescription, establishes billing/patient charges, documents patient’s allergies correctly, interprets and enters information regarding the outpatient prescription into the computer system
· Prepares and packages injectable and oral medication for outpatient use
· Utilizes math and problem solving skills (i.e. algebra) to calculate amount of drug needed for preparation of prescriptions
· Maintains the cleanliness and neatness of the outpatient pharmacy
· Independently resolves on-line adjudication problems with Third Party Payors, without pharmacist intervention.
· Extemporaneously compounds medication which is not commercially available (i.e. suspensions, ointments, liquids, capsules, powders, etc.) under the supervision of a pharmacist
· Replenishes pharmacy stock area and notifies pharmacist or inventory coordinators of any problems or concerns
· Answers the telephone and assists caller or forwards to appropriate individual (pharmacist, pharmacy administration, etc.)
· Assists in orientation and training for new Outpatient Pharmacy Technicians and interns. Ensures that the trainees are competent to function in the outpatient pharmacy area.
· Interviews all applicants to the OP Pharmacy when requested, and gives input to the Pharmacy Manager, Ambulatory Services.
Certification by examination as a pharmacy technician
Three years’ experience as a pharmacy technician in a community pharmacy or ambulatory setting
Basic skills in utilizing a personal computer. Skill in utilizing word processing and spreadsheet software desirable
Demonstrated leadership skills in pharmacy work environment
Strong communication and interpersonal skills required in providing education to pharmacy staff, patient/families and patient care team members as well as all other customers
Aptitude for detail
Standing/walking Constantly (67 – 100%)
Sitting Frequently (34 66%)