The Bioinformatics Analyst I will assist in all aspects of next-generation sequencing analysis of microbial communities including data generation, analysis, interpretation, and publication. Ideally, he or she should possess strong data processing skills (eg Python, PERL, R, MATLAB, etc.) and enjoy solving complex problems with a desire to make an impact in medical care through advancing our understanding of the role of the human microbiome in disease.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills will be essential as the individual will work collaboratively with developers, scientists, and clinicians on projects that lead to publications and presentations at professional meetings. First-hand knowledge of metagenomics, host-associated microbiomes, or microbial ecology and their relevance to human disease is a plus.
The candidate will also be encouraged to participate in bioinformatics related discussions, group meetings and presentations for the IGM. Specific competencies may vary based upon area of specialty within the IGM Computational Genomics.
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
1. Maintain metagenomic data analysis pipelines, mange data and prepare reports and figures for presentations and publications to investigators.
2. Participate in the validation and deployment of in-house bioinformatics tools.
3. Evaluate and integrate community-developed bioinformatics tools.
4. Perform quality control on data produced for and by the Computational Genomics Group. Monitor and aggregate metadata of informatics systems.
5. Effectively communicate biological relevance of data to scientists, clinicians and developers.
6. Support a wide variety of research efforts via experimental design, statistical analysis and machine learning.
7. Maintain awareness of current literature and bioinformatics tools in relevant areas.
8. Assist with software development. Basic training will be provided as necessary, and opportunities will increase with experience.
9. Effectively manages workload through one or more of the following:
a. Good analytical and problem solving ability
b. Excellent organization and time management skills
c. Work independently as well as with other team members to tackle complex problems
10. Demonstrates the ability to communicate with staff and faculty:
a. Displays a positive attitude and supports the goals and policies of the department / institution
b. Demonstrates the ability to present information, whether oral or written, in a clear, concise and effective manner to coworkers and management.
c. Demonstrates, maintains and fosters interpersonal relationships with internal and external investigators.
d. Demonstrates ability to change manner of communication style to adapt to various cultural differences as needed
e. Demonstrates respect for coworkers
f. Assist with supervision and training of new employees and students.
g. Prioritizes and adjusts schedule in order to accommodate projects.
h. Demonstrates the ability to adjust to change, handle interruptions and function with changing circumstances.
i. Demonstrates the initiative and ability to provide feedback that is useful and assists in individual improvement.
j. Promotes a cohesive work environment and identify resolutions to improve moral
11. Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, molecular genetics, computer science, bioinformatics or related field. M.S degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics or a related discipline a plus.
• Superior attention to detail and adherence to quality standards.
• Experience in a Linux/Unix environment and familiarity with scripting and process automation (Python/Perl, shell) a plus.
• Interest in genomics and bioinformatics, and willingness to learn concepts and terminology from these fields as needed.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills will be essential
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
• Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Sitting – Frequently Talking on phone/in person – Frequently Typing on a keyboard – Constantly Standing/walking – Frequently Physically Active – Occasionally The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. EOE M/F/Disability/Vet