Responsible for the effective daily coordination and monitoring of Patient Transportation services activities through timely and accurate dispatch and management of customer transportation requests and efficient assignments of transport personnel. Ensures positive patient, customer and transporter satisfaction, proper priority standard utilization, program quality standards, performance improvement, and personnel productivity. Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies and for established policies and procedures. This part time role is every weekend, either 1st or 2nd shift.
1. Acts as a positive role model; possesses integrity, focus, commitment, flexibility, diplomacy and a team spirit. Is reliable and trustworthy.
2. Demonstrates and promotes Nationwide Children's Hospital culture, values, and management philosophy.
3. Proactive in the achievement of the departmental goals and objectives.
4. Understands and facilitates organizational and departmental mission and values.
5. Exhibits excellent telephone etiquette and listening skills.
6. Displays interpersonal savvy. Maintains professionalism at all times. Knows how to diffuse high-tension situations.
7. Utilizes critical thinking skills in prioritizing tasks, dispatching assignments to the appropriate personnel in order of availability and proximity while maximizing productivity. Monitors task and personnel status in accordance with departmental standards.
8. Drives quality and continuously improves departmental performance through effective monitoring of task and personnel status in accordance with departmental quality standards.
9. Identifies problems, conducts research, resolves or makes recommendations to direct reports and/or manager.
10. Maintains a safe, healthy, orderly and pleasant work environment for staff; ensures dispatch equipment is safe and in good, clean working condition; provides and maintains adequate levels of supplies.
11. Notifies supervisor(s) or manager(s) of potential situations and unreasonable response times.
12. Assists in analyzing workload trends and staffing levels; makes recommendations when appropriate.
13. Monitors supplies and equipment; makes purchases recommendations when necessary.
14. Understands and applies knowledge of patient transport concepts, infection control practices, and proper body mechanics; acts as a transporter when necessary.
15. Understands and is able to determine, explain, and develop dispatcher logic to facilitate departmental goals.
16. Demonstrates personal computer literacy and basic knowledge of Microsoft office.
17. Ensures proper operation of dispatching software, other software programs, pager, phone, and IVR systems; is able to troubleshoot and work with Information Systems and dispatch system help desks.
18. Facilitates the activity of the department and transport associates, ensuring timely completion of tasks. Monitors procedures related to availability and completion task, follows-up on issues related to service and operations.
19. Ensures requests have been completed in an efficient and timely manner according to current departmental standards, priorities and patient appointments.
20. Functions as a liaison between Patient Transportation and other departments.
21. Records all pertinent information in “Daily Shift Log”; completes other reports as needed.
22. Monitors daily sign-in/out procedures.
Client and Customer Satisfaction/Relations
23. Keeps Manager/Supervisor informed of activities, needs and/or concerns.
24. Develops and promotes positive effective customer service relations with patients, patient family members, visitors and staff; ensures accurate and timely dispatch of transport requests; ensures maximum staff productivity.
25. Resolves problems related to patient, visitor, staff or employee complaints; resolves problems associated with Patient Transport Services; recommends and participates in the solution of on-going problems or trends.
Program Quality Standards
26. Assists in coordination of Patient Transportation activities and services with other departments.
27. Continuously monitors and improves departmental performance through timely dispatching of patient transport requests and personnel activity status.
28. Ensures timely response to all patient and patient-related transportation requests according to budgetary guidelines. Eliminates outliers over 30 minutes. Continuously monitors response times and associate productivity.
29. Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies including but not limited to Federal, State, JCAHO, OSHA, and CDC.
30. Maintains a teamwork environment of highly motivated associates.
Human Resource Management
31. Assists in orienting, training and developing all levels of personnel including but not limited to dispatchers, trainers, and transporters.
32. Motivates staff to function as a team in achieving goals and maximum productivity.
33. Encourages and nurtures associate morale within the department.
34. Monitors associates’ productivity status in accordance with departmental quality standards, notifies manager of non-compliance; interacts daily with nursing and other support departments; ensures the delivery timely service to patients, physicians, visitors and staff; participates in performance evaluations of transport personnel when requested.
35. Ensures accuracy of all appropriate records and time sheets; assigns transport personnel to stationed/zoned areas as needed.
36. Adheres to and promotes associates’ compliance to standard universal and disease-specific precautions and the OSHA blood borne pathogen standard; work to comply with all federal and state regulatory agencies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school graduate, equivalent or equal-related experience. Preferred dispatcher, transport or hospital experience.
2. Effective organizational skills necessary to plan, organize, coordinate and direct the activities of transport requests and associates’ productivity. Service/quality mentality and attitude.
3. Analytical ability to constantly evaluate task and personnel status; interpret demand and response times in accordance with patient acuity and personnel availability.
4. Mental ability to provide excellent judgment for problem solving related to response time and performance of associates’ coordination of activities related to Patient Transportation Services; enforcement of policies under emergency or stressful situations.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to interact, motivate and communicate with a wide range of staff and hospital personnel in a professional manner; guest relation’s skills must be strong, genuine and noticeable.
6. Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
7. Basic computer skills utilizing a Windows-based Operating System: ability to troubleshoot system problems related to computer or software systems and initiate internal or external resolution to system issues.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.