We are seeking multiple PBX Switchboard Operators!
This is a contingent position with the potential of going full-time by the end of the year. During the orientation process, the individual must work at least one shift per week, but preferably two.
The Switchboard Operator is responsible for answering all incoming telephone calls, ringing proper extensions, and relaying emergency messages. In addition, he/she will be answering emergency telephone calls (Fire, Code Blue, Stat), announcing various alerts and warnings over the paging system, and contacting medical, nursing, and other NCH personnel as necessary and directing them to locations where they are needed.
1. Answers all incoming calls and attendant lines, locates physicians and other hospital personnel, rings proper extensions, and relays messages to physicians to ensure the provision of services.
2. Maintains continuous knowledge of medical, nursing and other personnel on duty and type of service provided by each; ensures staff are directed to appropriate locations.
3. Maintains log of telephone problems for telephone technician.
4. Assists Chief Operator with maintaining pager database and/or paging equipment change outs and upgrades as necessary. Corrects pager problems as necessary.
5. Operates audio paging/public address system in response to emergency and/or alarm situations.
6. Conducts tests of the Code Blue and Trauma Teams daily using a pager; maintains log of responding individuals.
7. Maintains PBX Incident Report Communications log book.
8. Maintains daily log of on-call physicians, updates call schedules as needed. Assists with monthly build of schedule and pager directories.
9. Maintains and updates web directory as needed.
10. Assists with quarterly audits of SDC and HPM records.
11. Informs hospital personnel of available telephone system features and provides assistance in telephone operations (conference calls, long-distance, etc.)
12. Cross train to operate the nurse call system.
13. Assists in training new staff in performing PBX Operator duties.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Minimum of six months experience as PBX operator or minimum of 1 year with multi-line phones.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred.
4. Ability to multitask with large amounts of information at any given time; aptitude for detail.
5. Requires computer skills and ability to maintain spreadsheets. Computer knowledge, i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook is a plus.
6. Ability to develop necessary speed and technique to perform job effectively and efficiently.
7. Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
9. Ability to respond quickly to emergency situations.
10. Requires analytical skills necessary to understand and use a computerized system and maintain simple logs and records.
11. Exceptional interpersonal skills required in interactions with all levels NCH staff and the public.
12. Excellent written and verbal communications skills in order to answer telephones, exchange information and communicate clearly and tactfully.
13. Good hearing and recall necessary for ability to retain and repeat pertinent information.
14. Ability to remain courteous and tactful when dealing with customers (parents, physicians, etc.).
15. Ability to remain calm when receiving instructions or guidance.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Note frequency as Constantly (67-100%), Frequently (34-66%) and Occasionally (0-33%) for each requirement. Also note any lifting requirements with pound limit.Sitting Constantly Talking on phone/in person Constantly Typing on a keyboard Constantly Standing/walking Occasionally
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.