The Institute for Genomic Medicine (IGM) at Nationwide Children’s Hospital is creating a future that integrates genomics into the everyday practice of pediatrics. Led by a team of internationally-renowned genomic medicine scientists, the IGM is housed in the campus’ newest research building, spanning ~25,000 square feet of laboratory and office space in a highly interactive setting. https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/specialties/institute-for-genomic-medicine
We’re looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join our Technology Development Group to develop novel computational and statistical approaches for the analysis and interpretation of genomic data in pediatric cancer and other rare genetic diseases. The Technology Development Group supports the Institute’s laboratory and sequencing needs, designing cutting edge genomic applications and research in the area of human health.
You will have the opportunity to work on a highly collaborative team, developing novel software tools, utilizing the elasticity of the Cloud and innovative Big Data technologies. This is an exciting opportunity for a recent PhD graduate or junior postdoc to gain experience of bioinformatics research in a clinical setting and develop new skill sets from a diverse spectrum of projects which have a direct impact on pediatric patient care. Excellent verbal and written communication skills will be essential as the individual will work collaboratively with bioinformaticians, biologists and clinicians on projects that lead to publications and presentations at professional meetings.
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
• Perform next generation sequencing (NGS) downstream analysis and visualization
• Research, development and evaluation of novel computational approaches for NGS analysis
• Contribute to both research and clinical initiatives to develop software solutions for complex genomic analysis projects, the team collaborates with IGM faculty and R&D teams to develop highly optimized state-of-the-art bioinformatics solutions.
• Author journal publications and present at professional meetings
• PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or related discipline
• Deep computational understanding and strong programming skills (candidates will be asked to complete a programming assessment)
• Scripting and process automation experience (Python, Perl, shell, etc)
• Standard knowledge of algorithms, data structures and scientific programming
• Experience in bioinformatics and core bioinformatics tools and databases
• Software development experience is a plus (Java preferred)
• HPC, Cloud & Big Data (Hadoop) systems knowledge also a plus
• Must be a team player with good communication skills and an attention to detail
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Note frequency as Constantly (67-100%), Frequently (34-66%) and Occasionally (0-33%) for each requirement. Also note any lifting requirements with pound limit. Minimum physical requirements: 100% Kneeling / reaching 100% Finger dexterity 100% Talking / hearing / seeing
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. EOE M/F/Disability/Vet