The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
This position is responsible for scheduling numerous clinic outpatient appointments; obtaining of accurate demographic, insurance, and physician information; and pre-registering of outpatients in a timely and accurate manner. Excellent customer service skills are a must.
1. Efficiently schedules patients for designated outpatient services.
2. Interviews and registers designated patients in the computer system. Pre-registers 85% of patients scheduled for less than 30 days in the future.
3. Obtains accurate demographic, insurance, and physician information on at least 95% of registrations.
4. Screens customer data to ensure patient is eligible for insurance indicated. Communicates differences to the customer.
5. Screens registrations to ensure insurance pre-certification and physician referral requirements are met. Assists in identifying self-pay patients and referring them to financial assistance when applicable. Instructs customer on requirements.
6. Establishes and maintains open and professional demeanor and communication with departments and physicians whose services are scheduled by this department.
7. Assists in the training and development of new employees.
8. Open to new learning opportunities; adaptable to change.
9. Coordinates changes in appointments by canceling and/or re-scheduling as necessary
10. Work referral lists and contacts patients for appointments
11. Shows respect for the authority of others, including supervisor, manager, physicians, nurses, clinic office staff, the SCI Implementation Team and schedulers.
12. Displays positive attitude and discusses decisions or policies in a positive, problem-solving way.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school graduate. Associates degree preferred.
2. Minimum 4 years experience in customer service and registration/admitting areas.
3. Keyboarding/typing/data entry skills; and computerized scheduling experience preferred.
4. One year experience working on a mainframe computer. Experience using Outlook, Word and Excel.
5. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, bilingual a plus.
6. Ability to work and problem-solve with minimal supervision; ability to adapt to change positively in work flow and process.
7. Ability to understand and retain complex and quickly changing information.
8. Knowledge of the impact of managed care trends on hospital operations.
9. Knowledge of medical terminology.
10. Ability to relate to diverse age and demographic backgrounds.
11. Excellent organization skills and the ability to comprehend and follow written and verbal instructions.
12. Must be able to multi-task and handle various priorities in a flexible, rapidly changing environment.
13. Ability to function as a team member responsible for staffing operational hours. MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSSitting Frequently (34-66%)Talking on phone/in person Constantly (67-100%)Typing on a keyboard Constantly (67-100%)Standing/walking Frequently (34-66%)Lifting up to 25 lbs. Occasionally (0-33%) The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.