The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
The Human Milk Tech position is responsible for the preparation, distribution, inventory, and management of both Human Milk (HM) and Donor Human Milk (DHM).
Demonstrate competencies relative to infection control principles, appropriate technical calculation (weights and measures conversions, including metrics).
Demonstrate knowledge of common medical abbreviations and terminologies.
Effectively communicates with members of the health care team.
1. Manages receiving and labeling of mother?s HM according to procedure - inputs information into the MOMS barcoding system - organizes and performs inventory of HM supply for each patient in refrigerators and freezers.
2. Cleans work surfaces and equipment prior to HM preparation, and in between each individual patient milk preparation - follows aseptic technique - follows infection control policies - maintains cleanliness of refrigerators and freezers on a daily and as needed basis - maintain cleanliness of storage bins (in refrigerators and freezers).
3. Prepares individualized HM feedings following established procedures - performs identification of HM containers using bar code scanning - thaws, fortifies, and labels bottles of HM - communicates with appropriate nursing personnel for needed assistance with daily order changes and feeding order clarification - uses bottle warmer per policy to either thaw or warm milk.
4. Stores prepared feedings in patient care unit refrigerators, removing expired HM - uses and practices proper storage times and temperatures for HM at all times - rotates stored HM to use oldest HM first and to minimize undue wastage - daily run the expired milk report and dispose HM both literally & in fact from the MOMS system - removal of the discharged patient bins.
5. Monitors daily inventory and orders additional nutrition room supplies as needed - stocks nutrition room with all needed supplies.
6. Monitors refrigerator and freezer temperatures - notifies engineering for assessment of potential/actual problems.
7. Participates in department inservices to maintain appropriate competence.
8. Maintains a working knowledge of technical terminologies and classifications as appropriate for the proper completion of job duties.
9. Performs additional duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Ability to read, understand and exhibit basic mathematical skills.
3. Ability to understand and interpret basic medical terminologies.
4. Ability to use computer/software.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Note frequency as Constantly (67-100%), Frequently (34-66%) and Occasionally (0-33%) for each requirement.
Also note any lifting requirements with pound limit.Walking/standing Constantly (85%)Sitting/computer Frequently (15%)
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.EOE M/F/Disability/Vet