Provides oral health care, dental health education and remediable intraoral procedures to patients in the hospital clinic, i.e. infants, children, adolescents and selected adults as prescribed by the dentist. Demonstrates competence defined (*) in Dental Hygienist responsibilities providing age-appropriate care and service to patients from the age of birth to 21 years, and selected adults.
*1. Provides treatment for healthy and medically compromised patients that falls within the scope of licensure.
*2. Performs polishing with a slow speed handpiece to remove plaque and other soft deposits.
*3. Performs periodontal scaling with periodontal instruments to remove subgingival and supragingival calculus deposits.
*4. Performs root planning with periodontal instruments to remove nonvital tissue.
*5. Performs gingival curettage (when indicated) with periodontal instruments to remove nonvital tissue.
*6. Identifies and charts visible dental caries to evaluate patient?s oral status.
*7. Identifies and charts soft tissue abnormalities to be taken into consideration when treatment planning of the patient is done by the dentist.
*8. Identifies and charts gingival conditions in order to recommend proper oral care.
*9. Identifies and charts developmental irregularities of teeth to insure proper evaluation and treatment.
10. Exposes, processes and mounts dental radiographs (intra-oral and extra-oral) to be interpreted by the dentist.
*11. Assess water supply to determine need for supplemental fluoride for each patient.
*12. Gives fluoride treatments.
*13. Places dental sealants to the pits and fissures of molar teeth.
14. Assumes direct responsibility for the recall system.
*15. Obtains new dental education material to improve communication of proper oral hygiene and prevention practices.
16. Serve as clinical instructors for the OSU and Columbus State hygiene students from orientation through evaluation.
17. Orient incoming OSU and Columbus State hygiene students (pediatric rotation and practicum) to the clinical procedures and paperwork here at Childrens Hospital.
*18. Coordinate and present age appropriate dental educational materials at community health fairs and hospital sponsored events.
19. Provides educational experiences for nursing, medical, dental, and allied professional students.
20. Serve on a variety of clinic and hospital committees and task forces.
21. Participates in continued quality improvement.
22. Attends all mandatory inservices for hospital, ambulatory and dental clinic; completes mandatory CHEX in-service when due.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Graduate of an accredited dental hygiene school.
2. BA or BS Degree preferred.
3. Passed the National Boards.
4. Passed the North East Regional Boards.
5. Licensed to practice in the State of Ohio.
6. Certified to CPR.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Must be able to see, hear, speak, read and perform manual tasks with or without accommodation, and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.Sitting Constantly (67-100%)Talking on phone/in person Constantly (67-100%)Standing/Walking Frequently (34-66%)Lifting up to 25 lbs. Occasionally (0-33%) The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.